The Twilight Zone First Impressions

This past week, I watched the first two episodes of the award winning T. V. show The Twilight Zone.
It was a cold fall night and the second day of Spooktober, so I decided I was going to watch something spooky. After a little browsing, I decided I was going to watch a few episodes of The Twilight Zone. I had heard about The Twilight Zone before from a mix of different teachers at my school, they all had high praise for it, but I had never actually checked it out before. So, with my curiosity peaked, I started Season 1 Episode 1. 
Episode one covers a pretty basic plot, but it is very well done. It starts with a man walking around on a trail, looking for people. Throughout the episode this man is looking around in a town for someone, but no one is around. The town is abandoned. It's a basic "Last man on earth plot", but without any context. Normally with LMOE plots, you are given some context of why no one is around, but in this story there isn't any. The show uses this to its advantage perfectly. During the story, it is revealed that the man doesn't remember anything until he was walking on the road at the beginning of the episode. His memories start at the same time the audience sees him for the first time. This helps the audience relate to the man because everything the man knows, the audience knows too. All of this information and more is communicated to the audience through semi-monologues from the main character. All of this builds up to a twist in the ending that I won't spoil.

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot. I highly recommend you check out The Twilight Zone this Spooktober season.

Nick Z out.

Comments

Popular Posts